Monday, October 25, 2010

A-1

Yesterday was my birthday. Sixty-four years old. Which inevitably brings to mind the song, and consequently curiosity regarding the answer to The Beatles in-light-of-the-current-situation-really-not-all-that-rhetorical question..."Will you still need me?/Will you still feed me?/When I'm 64?"

Well, I received sixty-plus birthday greetings from friends from all around the world via Facebook and in my e-mail box. Which really was quite special. And I was treated to a truly incredible Japanese dinner dinner and sake by Hollie, in the company of my daughter Zoe and bf Ryan, at Amu, an izakaya in Boulder. Note the mysterious, and wildly appropriate, writing that appeared magically in a bowl of soy dipping sauce. A deus ex machina comment on the day.

And then I was taken back to Hollie's house, fed champagne, the tasty ice cream roll-cake that Hollie made at my request, and showered by very cool gifts...books, folk art, cooking machinery, and more.

So, will I be needed and will I be fed when I'm 64? The answer apparently is...yes.

And now...my favorite birthday song, "Have a Good Time" by Paul Simon.

Yesterday it was my birthday,
I hung one more year on the line.
I should be depressed
'Cuz my life's a mess,
But I'm having a good time.

2 comments:

Hollie said...

A-1 birthday celebration for sure. You can count on being needed and fed until you're 164. After that, you're on your own.

Second Skin said...

It is so nice to hear about your celebration! it does sound like you are so very blessed in your life! Coincidentally, I came here to tell you something that seems to feel significantly tied to your birthday celebration. To begin, last week you mentioned that there must be a great story behind the phone number on the suitcase in my shop product photos. There is indeed a great story! One I have been wanting to tell you, but had been unable to for more than a week now. It has been on my mind though, apparently, since last night I found myself (in my sleep) very vividly transported to Zoe's birthday dinner table, seated next to you, but only for a brief moment to tell you that the phone number on the suitcase was my dad's when he was a young boy and that was his only suit case growing up until he went to Germany in the Air force. You smiled and the dream ended. It was like I just had to tell you. So now I have. Both telepathically and literally. Happy birthday!