Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A hamburger today

A pre-rehearsal cheeseburger with my friend and First Wednesday band-mate John Goggin as Oskar Blues in Lyons. Not much to say hamburger-wise, except that I'm always proud of myself when i forego the french fries and get a side of coleslaw, which of course is only marginally healthier. but it feels healthier. And more fiber-ey. But my rumination today is on the art of rehearsal.

It's my contention that there is no such thing as a bad rehearsal. Even if many of the players retain only 5% of what we learn, we're 5% farther along than we were before we started. My First Wednesday band is definitely making progress. We learn songs more quickly. We hardly ever argue about arrangements, chord changes, etc. We freely pass on advice, tips, etc. to the other players. (My only concern is that I'm too bossy, but i guess i figure that someone has to step up be bossy and it might just as well be me, since I lead the band on-stage anyway.)

Last night we learned two of Dave's songs ("Up On Cripple Creek" and "Down To Seeds & Stems Again,") one of Josh's (Robert Cray's Phone Booth) and went over some of the ones we had issues with. All in all, it was satisfying. More satisfying than the cheeseburger with cole slaw.

1 comment:

Second Skin said...

This sounds nice. :)