Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fishing in the rain


Not making dinner at home tonight. Off to fish the north fork of the St. Vrain River for the first time this year with my friend, Peter. And then we will likely grab a bit of dinner out afterward.

It's only the second time I've been fishing this season. Peter and I fished the Big Thompson River just below the dam, east of Rocky Mountain National Park, in later June, but the spring run-off was still in full force, and that, combined with wily fish that have seen it all, we ended up skunked.

The St. Vrain, here in town, was good to us last year. One magical evening this past summer we fished until it was so dark we couldn't see our hands in front of our faces. It was literally a "fish-every-cast" evening. That spot has since been fenced and posted. But Peter rents a house from one of the fellows who owns that stretch of property along the river and we are alleged to have fishing rights. "Well see," said the blind man.

Update: and now it's raining, so worst case...dinner.

2 comments:

Second Skin said...

I hope your dinner was nice. My only real fishing experiences were with my grandpa in the water canals of the Arizona desert. Little rainbow trout. I think that is what they were, I mean, I was only 4 or so. We used corn to bait them. They were delicious. I wish my dad would blog. I talked to him about it last weekend. He would love to write. I am going to show him your blog so that he can see an example of how it can be. Simple. Just for you. A place to record your thoughts that is all your own but open for connections with others. I am happy you are blogging again. Thank you.

patrick said...

hey, tell your dad to e-mail me if he wants any tips. p_ukes@yahoo.com. and thanks so much for the nice comments. it's an amazing world, how you write something and people all over the world can see it. zoe's blog went from three people (me, my girlfriend, and her boyfriend) looking at it, to hundreds of people in just weeks. that's pretty cool.